NAZA is a network of established afterschool providers, each operating in a different geographic zone and with its own particular focus and mission. Each After Zone or Z. provides Metro middle-school students access to afterschool programs that offer meaningful enrichment activities in safe and structured environments. Each Z. is somewhat unique in the programming offered. However, all programs in the Z. have a common commitment to:
- Helping students achieve in school
- Providing activities and experiences that enrich students’ lives
- Providing high quality programming utilizing a Positive Youth Development approach; 5 Principles of Positive Youth Development
- Eliminating transportation and financial barriers for students and families who want to participate
- Using a continuous program quality improvement process, including professional development provided by NAZA
- Manifesting a belief in the value and potential of every student
- Students must apply to participate and are accepted on a first come-first served basis
- Applications are available from principals at participating schools or from your Zone Director. Individual program applications contain specifics about each Z. after school Program.
- Applications are accepted at the beginning of the school year.
- All Z. programs operate around the same basic schedule, with some variations at each site. At a minimum, sites operate 4 days/week for two hours after school, 12 weeks out of each semester.
- The Z. is not a “drop-in” program. Research shows that “drop-in” programs are not effective in supporting student success. Therefore, we ask parents and youth to commit to regular attendance through at least one semester if accepted into a Z. program.
- Some Z. programs take place on school grounds and some at established neighborhood sites. For school-based sites, students who ate eligible to ride a Metro school bus to school may ride the bus home after the Z. if a parent/guardian signs and submits the “Extended Day Transportation Form” contained in the Z. application.